I used to work in a Tex Mex restaurant which made the best, yes BEST fried mozzarella sticks. Sadly they are not around any more and I so miss the food but these are a good substitute and easy to make.
1 x Egg
Splash of milk
Ground Cayenne Pepper- pinch
A block of hard mozzarella
Sorry I have no exact weights or measurements. I pretty much chuck a load onto a plate and if I need more just add it :)
- Whisk egg and milk in a shallow bowl
- Mix the breadcrumbs, panko and parsley on a plate - If you don't have panko just use regular breadcrumbs
- On a plate or shallow bowl mix flour, seasoning and a pinch of Cayenne
- Cut the mozzarella into centimetre slices and then halve
1. Roll the mozzarella in the flour
2. Then dip it in the egg, make sure it is covered
3. Place it on the breadcrumbs
4. Pile the breadcrumbs on and around it. Works better this way rather than rolling the mozzarella in the crumbs
Once each one is covered, place on a board or plate and put in the freezer for approx half an hour. They need to be harder so that they don't melt as much when frying.
These can also be frozen for future use
Heat some oil in a pan. It needs to be quite hot as the outside needs to cook before the middle becomes too soft and the mozzarella seeps out. They only need to be fried for a few minutes.
I also have tried the healthier route of baking them. They don't taste as good (surprisingly), the breadcrumbs are not as cooked but the mozzarella does go a lot gooier and is delish in that sense. If you fancy doing that then bake for 15 minutes on gas mark 6 from frozen . Adjust the times if cooking from chilled.
Mmmm gooey goodness! Serve with dip of choice, I like BBQ Sauce but the traditional acompliment is Marinara sauce